- OSES address the multi-faceted challenges in the Sahel.
- shape and mobilize an effective United Nations and international response to the complex crisis of the region, including through the implementation of an integrated strategy for the Sahel.
- undertake good offices on behalf of the Secretary-General in coordination with all United Nations relevant entities in support of national, regional and international efforts in the Sahel region.
- mobilises UN entities to work with countries of the region to execute national and regional projects
- plays an important role in seeking coherence amongst international actors working on the Sahel.
Closure of OSES
Dear partners and colleagues, Please be informed that the United Nations Office for West Africa (UNOWA) and the Office of the Special Envoy for the Sahel (OSES) have merged into a single entity, UNOWAS: United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel. For more information, you can access the new UNOWAS website at unowas.unmissions.org